Monday, August 20, 2012

Crochet Flower Slippers

For all you infrequent flyers out there: planes are freezing.

I forgot this important bit of information when I boarded the flight to Brazil, wearing thin pants and flip-flops. I spent 8 hours shivering while the woman next to me cozied up in big, fuzzy socks, and all I could think about was what I would do for a pair of cozy plane slippers. So, on the trip back (I did remember socks that time) I came up with these!



I wanted something that worked up quickly, and didn't require any fancy straps or buttons.


Note: This pattern is written for a size 7 to 7½ foot, but it could easily be altered for smaller or larger feet. I've included in red where certain rows could be lengthened or shortened to accommodate different feet.
.






Flower Slippers


Loops and Threads Impeccable worsted, 1 skein soft rose, 1 skein dark forest
Hook: size 9 (I)

In soft rose, make a slp knot. Ch3, 6 sc in slip knot. Join, pull tight
R1: 2sc in each sc around –12 st
R2: 2sc in each sc around –24 st
R3: sc in each sc around –24 st
R4: [sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc] around –30 st
R5-R10: sc in each sc around –30 st 

R11-R13: sc in next 22sc, ch1, turn –22 st
R14: sc2tog, sc in next 18 sc, sc2tog, ch1, turn –20 st
R15: sc around –20 st
R16: sc2tog, sc in next 16 sc, sc2tog, ch1, turn –18 st
R17-R24: sc around –18 st
For a smaller size, work fewer rows. For a larger size, work more. You'll want to continue the slipper until it reaches the widest part of your heel. In general, four rows seem to constitute the difference in one shoe size. For example, for a size 8 to 8½, I would crochet 28 rows.
R25: 2sc in 1st sc, sc in next 5 sc, sc2tog, sc in next 2 sc, sc2tog, sc in next 5 sc, 2sc in last sc –18 st
R26: sc in each sc, ch1, turn –18 st
R27-29: repeat R25
Fasten off. Fold in half and slst heel seam together.

Edge: in dark forest
R1: Start at center back of heel, where stitched together. Sc to corner (22 sc), sc3tog using 2nd half of 22nd sc, sc in next 6 sc, sc3tog, sc 22 starting in 2nd half of last sc3tog, sc 22, join to 1st sc, ch1
R2: DO NOT TURN. [sc2tog, sc2] around, join with slst to ch1, ch1
R3: DO NOT TURN. [sc2tog]x2, slst in next sc, ch1, turn
R4: [sc2tog]x4, slst in next sc, ch1, turn
R5: [sc2tog]x2, join to heel, fasten off



At this point, the slippers should look like this:





But they are so much cuter with the flowers! I looked at several flower patterns online, but none quite fit what I wanted, so I've created my own.




Crochet Flower

Using dark forest, make a slp knot. Ch4, join to form a ring. Ch2, work 11sc inside the ring, join the round
R1: ch3, [skip next sc, sc in next sc, ch 2]x5, join to ch1 with a slst. Join second color with a sc into first ch2 space, but do not cut off color one.
R2: work [1sc, 1dc, 1trc, 1dc, 1sc] into each ch2 space around, join to first sc with a slst
R3: working behind petals from R2, [ch3, slst between petals] around. Pick up dark forest thread.
R4: Using dark forest, work [1sc, 1dc, 2trc, 1dc, 1sc] into each ch3 space around, join to first sc with a slst

Weave in ends, and attach to slipper!

Now they're all done! Wear, be comfortable, and enjoy!


Please use this pattern for your own enjoyment, but do not sell the pattern or finished product without my consent. As always, link back to thelifeartistic.blogspot.com, and let me know if you have any questions!





25 comments:

  1. These slippers are gorgeous, Miranda! I'm going to start them today. Thanks so much for making this pattern available!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Kristen! I'm glad you like them. How did they turn out for you?

      Delete
  2. I am getting lost on R17 - 24. If I just do SC back and forth then the foot narrows and I can't maintain 18 stitches. Is something missing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me see if I can help: you should maintain 18 stitches throughout those rows, just by doing "sc all, ch 1, turn" (I have it written as "sc around" which I will fix). After that, you should increase at the beginning and end and decrease twice in the middle of rows 25, and 27-29. Where is the issue you are running into?

      Delete
  3. Do I join each round with a slip stitch or just keep going around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've worked rows 1-10 both ways, by joining w/ a slst and then a ch1, or by just continuing. I preferred to just continue. But be sure to mark where the round begins!

      Delete
  4. thank you so much for sharing your pattern with us, i wanted to ask you with my finished product wld it b ok if i sold it but not the pattern bc its your pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You may sell the finished product. Just credit The Life Artistic when you do :)

      Delete
  5. these slippers are absolutely adorable! question though: at the beginning of the pattern did you mean to make a magic circle? I was extremely confused with the ch3 situation and just went with the magic circle and they worked fine anyway, but in asking just for clarification.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't use a magic circle when I made them, which is why the pattern is written that way, but yes, a magic circle works fine, and probably better! I'm not a crocheter, really, so I kept it simple for what I wanted.

      Delete
  6. I know you say not to sell them but I am hoping it would be okay to make a bunch of them in a variety of size and donate them to local hospitals? Every time I go to the hospital they give you those ugly gray slipper socks and I think these would be sooo much cuter...especially in maternity wards. Would that be okay with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Sarah! I'm actually fine with you selling them, as long as I know! Of course I can't keep anyone from selling these or selling the pattern, but I like to know who enjoys them enough to put them in their shop :)

      As for donating, I think that is a lovely idea. I could not imagine a better place for these sweet slippers. You are so kind to think of that!

      Delete
  7. I'm having trouble with the heel on these. I really don't get the first row. I know it's probably my own inability to read patterns or I'm doing something very wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this pattern! It was hard to follow in some places but being a crocheter I figured it out and made a few changes. But overall it was an easy project and I'm so grateful for you sharing it! I plan to make more and sell some and if I do so, I'll credit you. Thanks again! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miranda,

    Love these slippers! Thank you for creating and sharing them. FYI: I wear a size 11 (UK 42) and I used 34 rows before doing the last five rows (25-29 as written).

    Keep being awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would keep them for myself because I need a good comfortable pair of slippers to wear around the house. Thanks for sharing

    Regards
    Barker Marine

    Men Shoes UK

    ReplyDelete
  11. R2: DO NOT TURN. [sc2tog, sc2] around, join with slst to ch1, ch1
    R3: DO NOT TURN. [sc2tog]x2, slst in next sc, ch1, turn
    R4: [sc2tog]x4, slst in next sc, ch1, turn
    R5: [sc2tog]x2, join to heel, fasten off,

    i dont understand those line.... sc2, is it 2 sc in the same sc or sc in each sc 2 times?? and [sc2tog]x2... or 4.. what do you mean??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made these today for my step mother's mother. She turns 92 tomorrow. She loves pink. I have the base light pink in cotton and the edging maroon in acrylic. You should of heard her squeal with delight. She had them put on her feet straight away. Thanks for such a lovely pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these slippers had to adjust the trim to make them a bit tighter on my heel but absolutely love them and have had great compliments on them as well as a few ladies wanting me to make them a pair would you mind if i made some up to sell?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi. Miranda! I have been looking for a cute slipper pattern to sell at a local Co-op, and when I saw these, I knew they would be perfect! Do mind if I sell some at the Co-op, giving you credit for the pattern? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing the pattern. I had several questions. First what was the length of the finished slipper? Also do you have a gauge for this pattern? Finally, when you get to the sc3tog, what do you mean by using the second half of the 22sc? Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing this pattern my question is would I use a 9mm hook or an I hook because my 9mm hook is a N hook?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm doing the very beginning I do the last ch 3 an 6 sc in slst ok when I join to start the 2sc an each sc I'm getting more than 12 what am I doing wrong

    ReplyDelete